Profitable REIT Investment Strategies – Made Simple
Speaker: Tam Ging Wien
In the last Straits Times Index (STI) quarterly review in December 2018, besides the 3 major REITs which are already component stocks of the SIT, there are another 5 stocks on the STI reserve list that were identified as REITs. The STI reserve list comprised of the five highest ranking non-constituents of the STI by market capitalisation:
- Suntec REIT
- Mapletree Commercial Trust
- Keppel REIT
- Mapletree Logistics Trust
- Mapletree Industrial Trust
With only 40 REITs listed in Singapore, this shows that REITs are gaining significance and traction amongst investors. REITs are popular tool for investors seeking stable dividends and building their passive income.
Lured by the high yields, many retail investors mistakenly thought that REIT is simple – relying on a combination of High Yield, Low Price-to-Book Ratio and Low Gearing to pick their REITs.
However, many found themselves faced with a slow and painful declines in REIT prices over the years. Some also felt betrayed by the REITs they supported – rights issues after rights issues on their portfolio were called – forcing them to fork out additional cash or face dilution. Any of these may rob an investor of their dividend income.
During this seminar, Tam Ging Wien will uncover the common mistakes REIT investors make; while unpacking the strategies that will help REIT investors stay profitable.
In this workshop, he will be examining the following topics:
- Foundational understanding of REITs
- How to perform financial evaluation on a REIT
- Dispelling common myths surrounding REIT investment strategies such as:
- REITs are simply dividend stocks
- High yielding REITs make good investments
- REITs trading below their NAV are undervalued
- REITs that acquiring new assets will increase shareholder value
- Rising interest rates will negatively impact REITs
- The right way to select high quality REITs
- How to value and buy undervalued REITs
- Common REIT investment traps and how to avoid them
During the sharing session, various case studies and list Singapore REIT examples will be used.
There will also be a Q&A and mingling session so that members of the community may engage in open dialog and discussions in order to deepen their understanding of REITs.
Ging Wien will offer sufficient breadth and depth to benefit both novice and seasoned investors alike.
Who can benefit by attending:
- Investors who have heard of REITs, but have not started investing, join us to build your firm foundational understanding before investing
- Investors who have been using the traditional method of High Yield, Low Price-to-Book Ratio and Low Gearing to pick their REITs and suffered losses
- Seasoned investors who want to further deepen their knowledge in REITs
About speaker: Tam Ging Wien
Tam Ging Wien has been an avid equities and real estate investor for over 10 years. He is the co-founder of REITScreener.com and ProButterfly.com, an independent investment site that helps investors level-up their investments in REITs, real estate and equities.
His passion for financial education and training stems from a desire to help others help themselves achieve financial freedom. In 2017 he published his first book entitled REITs to Riches: Everything You Need to Know About Investing Profitably in REITs which became a national best-seller.
He has been interviewed on national radio with regards to his views on REITs. He was among the distinguished panel of judges for the REITs Asia Pacific 2018 Awards.
All are welcome!
- Free for OTCS members
- S$20 for non-members
(Or join as a member at venue for just S$60/yr – Time limited offer!)
(Come with a friend or two, but kindly get them to register too.)
- Date: 22 Apr 2019 (Mon)
- Time: 7pm – 10pm (Registration starts 6.30pm)
- Venue: Blk 231 Bain Street, #04-41 Bras Basah Complex, Singapore 180231 (map)
- Food: Boxed meals, first come first served, while stocks last
- Registration is compulsory as seats are limited.