Quantitative trading is the process where ideas are turned into mathematical models and then coded into computer programs for systematic trading.
Price and volume are two of the more common data inputs used in quantitative analysis as the main inputs to mathematical models. Quantitative trading is commonly used by individual investors to identify trading opportunities.
Quantitative trading techniques include high-frequency trading, algorithmic trading and statistical arbitrage.
Introduction to Quantitative Trading
In this workshop, Alex Siew from Singapore Quant Club, will share his insights on:
- Critical evaluation of existing conventional technical tools. Are they really effective?
- Comparison of technical tools with quantitative tools. Assess the pros and cons of each category of tools.
- Application of technical and quantitative tools to specific trading scenarios.
- The framework for development of technical indicators.
- The platform that supports technical indicator development.
- Importance of Sentimental Analysis – Economic Data Release analysis.
- Application of indicators and comparison on their effectiveness with quantitative tools.
Who should attend
This workshop is for…
- Traders interested to know more about quantitative trading.
- Part time and full time traders passionate about trading.
- Beginners who are still searching for tools to use in trading.
Alex is licensed Capital Market Service Representative, holds a Master in Information Technology in Business from Lincoln University, United Kingdom. Prior to that, he obtained his Bachelor of Commerce (double major in Accounting and Marketing) from Deakin University, Australia. He is currently a Fund Manager in VCB Capital. He is also serving as the Chairman for Market Technician Association (US) Malaysian Chapter.
Starting his career at PwC, he pursued the path of a Derivative analyst over the course of 10 years since graduation. Alex has extensive experience in Equity and Derivative investment, audit, corporate finance and Private Equity Funding.
Over the course of his career, Alex has developed his own proprietary software in automated industrial analysis of Derivative and Equity markets, Derivatives hedging and investment by utilising his IT skills combined with his knowledge in Derivatives markets. His technical analysis skills are recognised by world class Technical Analysis association MTA (Market Technician Association) of United States.
Alex has also hold part time lecturing position in various colleges for more than 10 years. He has lectured in the field of applied computerized statistics, deploying Quantitative Models generated from statistical software like Matlab, Eviews, Revolution R Analytics and IBM SPSS software packages. He is well versed with different approaches towards investment and risk management including Fundamental Analysis, Technical Analysis, Sentimental Analysis and Quantitative Analysis methodologies.
All are welcome!
- Free for OTCS members
- S$20 for non-members
(Or join as a member at venue for just S$60/yr – Special price for this year!)
(Come with a friend or two, but kindly get them to register too.)
- Date: 8 Sep 15 (Tue)
- Time: 7pm – 10pm (Registration starts 6.45pm)
- Speaker sharing: 1 hour (Rest of the time would be for networking between members.)
- Venue: Raja’s Commercial College. 231 Bain Street, #04-37 Bras Basah Complex, Singapore 180231 (map)
- Food: boxed meals (for 40), first come first served, while stocks last
- MRT: Bugis (DT14/EW12), City Hall (EW13/NS25), Bras Basah (CC2)
- Registration: via eventbrite
Registration is compulsory as seats are limited.